Monday, August 1, 2011

Glorious Tattoo

I recently went and added permanent art to my wrist...aka...a tattoo.  I have been dreaming about getting a tattoo for several years and had a pretty good concept of what I wanted.  Finally, the time was right for me to take the plunge and go for it.  I had my own design and with the support of several friends, I headed to the tattoo shop for my first voluntary pain experience. 
I am well aware of the controversy involved in getting a tattoo.  There are many Christians who think that it is wrong, and obviously I am not one that agrees.  Sure I think there are some things that you shouldn't tattoo on your body, but the art itself is not necessarily wrong.  Anyway, that argument is not my purpose of writing today. 



My tattoo says Glory with a treble clef as the 'G.'  Most of the inspiration for this comes from First Corinthians 10:31-33.

31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32 Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— 33 even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.

The previous verses discuss the freedom of choice.  "Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial or constructive."  We can choose how to live our lives, yet God wants us to live in a way that benefits those around us.  As Christians, we should not cause another to stumble.  We should have a clear conscience as well as make sure that we do not cause someone else to have an unclear conscience.  We have the freedom to choose, but we are called to make choices that bring God glory. 

My tattoo is a reminder that I do not live for my fame or glory.  I live to bring praise to God's name alone.  Every day I can see that I need to give God the glory and live in a way that does so.  I am so very excited about this new stage of tattooed life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment