Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Work, Dinner Dates, and Chickens

This week has been a blast so far.  I have been working out of my own teller drawer and so far haven't messed up too badly.  I've also had to be the only closing teller for the first time this week...quite frightening if something goes wrong! They seem to have more confidence in me than I do in myself.  I need to work myself into the comfort level that I need to perform my job quickly and confidently.  It's still very new and awkward at times. 

Last Saturday, the high school leaders got together for a meeting.  We got to hang out, eat some Mexican food, and watch a challenging video.  The video incorporated every possible teenage struggle and it broke my heart for teens all over again.  It reminded me why I want to love on as many teens as possible.  From suicide to divorce, pregnancy to church hipocracy...it was all there.  I can't even imagine what each teen in our youth group is struggling with.  All I know is that I want to make a difference in their lives, whether it's now or affects them in the future. 

I have tried to squeeze hang out times into my schedule this week.  I got a chance to chill with another leader on Saturday and it was such a joy.  We had girl talk and dove deep into some difficult issues.  It was tough, but rewarding and heartwarming.  On Sunday evening, I got to eat dinner with the youth minister and his wife.  They are such wonderful people and I am so glad that God brought me here to serve along side of them.  I could not ask for a better/cuter couple to work with. 

Finally...the chickens part of the title! You're probably wondering what that has to do with my life here in Austin, but hold on.  The family I am living with has four chickens.  When they are not home, it is my responsibility to feed them.  I walked into the cage this morning to feed them and who would hold their ground but the black and white speckled chicken, Shaniqua.  I was a little nervous that she would attack, but thankfully she ate the food and allowed me to exit safely.  Chickens are so funny! :)

Not Shaniqua but looks like her! :)

4 comments:

  1. what kind of chicken is this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is black and white chicken because i have them as a pet

      Delete
    2. it is black and white chicken because i have them as a pet

      Delete