Friday, April 1, 2011

New Month, Pleasant Attitude, Good Stuff

I am currently sitting in my apartment waiting for my best friend and husband to show up.  I haven't seen them since Thanksgiving, so I'm very ready to have a nice visit with them.  We have been trying for a long time to get together and there has always been something to get in the way.  I am very excited to catch up with them. 

Thursday evening was also a very exciting time for me.  I have been struggling with finding a group of Christians my age, but not particularly college students, to have some community with.  I've known for a long time my need there, but never knew where to look or how to start.  Thursday I attended my first community group gathering and I am so excited about it.  The leaders are amazing, and the people are so welcoming.  I am thankful to have a safe place to be transparent, understood, and encouraged.  I just had to release a heavy sigh.  It's so refreshing and relieving.  I'm so blessed. 

In other news, I have tested the AC in my car and discovered that it doesn't really get cold.  This discovery is not very exciting now that I live in Texas.  Basically...I'm gonna die! I've been saving for a down payment on a car and now I'm feeling a little bit more urgency to get that process going.  I'm not particularly excited about adding to my debt, but I also know that if I'm buying a car, then it's not going to be a clunker!  I need something a little more reliable since I don't have anyone to take me to work if it dies.  It will be nice to have a little more peace of mind that my car will start when I turn the key.  It will also be nice to not melt in the summer. 

Life continues to fly by me.  It seems like not too long ago, I was sitting around bored in my apartment, not knowing what to do with myself.  Now, it seems like I am never here.  I was calculating my time in Austin the other day and it's amazing how much time flies.  My tentative timeline for living here is 22 months...and I've already completed almost 7 of those.  I have 16 more months to make an impact in Austin...and I have so much more to learn and experience.  As much as I claim to hate this city some days, it really is fascinating.  Austin is teaching me so much about myself and life.  It is teaching me to love, unconditionally...and that is the most important thing of all. 

My heart beats and breaks for this city.  I have lots of great ideas of how to impact this place, and now that I have a community of others who feel the same, I think I might actually get an opportunity to reach out more.  I can't do it on my own, but with others, we can make a difference.  I am so excited to see what the next few months hold for us.

There's so much more I could write about, but I think I've rambled enough for this evening!  Hope y'all didn't get fooled too much today! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment